History

The historic building we know as the Worthington Funeral Home was originally constructed in 1835 and was occupied by the Hinmann family and its descendants for nearly a century.

Legend has it that Abraham Lincoln stopped to visit with the children of the family as he walked from the home of his friend William Ray to the old courthouse on the square. The federal-style house is of post-and- beam construction, and is notable for the fanlight over the entryway. Several windowpanes are the originals, as indicated by their greenish tint and irregularities in the surface of the glass.

The house was purchased and renovated by O.D. Arnold in 1935, then in 1937 Luther Gordon purchased the building for the use of a funeral home.  Ed and Mary Ann Worthington established their funeral home in 1949.  It was located in their residence at 505 North Liberty Street.  There were five funeral homes in Rushville at that time.  After Luther Gordon's death, Ed Worthington assisted Mrs. Gordon in keeping her business going until he purchased it in 1953.  For over fifty years the Worthington Funeral Home has operated under this roof. 

Jim and Bill Worthington became the owners in 1989, and have made many improvements for added comfort and accessibility while maintaining the historical integrity of the structure. The additions made over the years echo the style of the original building and at the same time provides ample space for visitations and funeral services.  Our goal today is the same as it has been over the last half-century-to serve you with caring, professional service in a comfortable home-like atmosphere.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

    

 

 

 



 

Our Facility | Grounds | Monuments/Headstones | Pre-Arrangements | History
331 W. Washington St. Rushville IL. - (217)322-4342
Copyrightę 2008 Worthington Funeral Home E-Mail

free html visitor counters
hit counter